We are on lesson #152 today! Feeling pretty successful at the moment. I am very pleased with our decision to use A Beka as our home-school curriculum. The video streaming has been effective and convenient. I like that I do not have to store dvds - it's not like I have the space for two sets. The boys and I have thoroughly enjoyed the video teachers. Here are some of my thoughts:
- we ordered books through the book display here in Huntsville to receive a 10% discount - early enrollment and first time discounts also applied.
- the books arrived very quickly
- I had originally signed up to start the streaming from August 1st and they give you a year to complete the videos, but I found that I want to start planning before August 1st. SO this year we will sign up for July instead.
- the 4th grade video manual was still being compiled due to new video recording from the previous year (so no nasally sounding teacher!) They did send me a couple pages of digital lesson plans to help me get started.
- the video manual is a great tool - only available through 6th grade. It actually has everything laid out in lesson plan form.
- we started out watching all the videos, but after about 2 months we decided the video was unnecessary for spelling, reading, handwriting, and some language (skipping may depend on how well your child already understands what need to be done).
- kindergarten teacher is EXCELLENT!
- A Beka will allow you to tour their Christian School facility and meet and greet the video teachers - THIS is an AWESOME opportunity. My kids loved getting to meet their teachers. It made school real!